View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 05:16 AM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
On the Touch, if you invoke the bottom menu, you can see/estimate how far into the book you are. You can also see % read when you put the book to sleep.
Mmm, yes, but it's always a percentage scale. If I'm halfway through a book that has 150 pages, I'll be done tomorrow, whereas if I'm halfway through a book with 400 pages, it'll take me a while longer. That's why I don't really like the % or the bar on its own. I like to know it's 200 pages of 400 (and knowing that's 50% done is a bonus) and estimated finishing date is, say, Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
It's not the same as a paper book, but knowing how much more I have to go in a chapter really works for me.
Yeah I understand that too. The way I have it set now (always display 200 of 400 pages) I never know how far I've got left to read till the end of the chapter. That's annoying for the reason mentioned by Robko:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Some people like to know there is only 3 pages left in a chapter so they will finish it before they stop reading vs 10 left so they might as well just stop now.
I miss being able to estimate that. Making the bottom menu appear I do see the little stripes indicating new chapter starts, but then again, a space of 2 mm from where I am could mean anything from 1 to 1000 pages depending on how many pages my book has...

I suppose the best option would be to display both pages per chapter and pages per total... For instance have one in the bottom of the book, and the other somewhere in the bottom menu, and then make it user definable which goes where to please everyone (wooo, pleasing everyone! Just imagine!)
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote