View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #461
deagol
deagol began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Hello,

First thank you for this nice hack!

Unfortunatelly I had already updated my new kindle k3g to the latest version (3.3) and the "update_k3g-3.1-create_updater.bin" got silently deleted on the Kindle as I tried that.

With a look in the sources it became obvious, that the "update package" had a max version well below the version my Kindle 3 was running on.

Even without any background in kindle hacking it was simple to rise the max version, so I gave it a shot...
And it worked.

Here a short descriptoin of what I have done:
1) download the src for kindleupdater
2) edit packages.lst and replace the last number for your host with 611680021 (create_updater k3g-3.1 10 558700031 611680021)
2) generate the packages

There are some (empty) directories which should also be renamed, but I've not done that and it was working without just fine.

(You should also be able to rename the package name to "create_updater k3g-3.3", but since the old filename is in a whitelist for the jailbreak I decided to keep the wrong name for my quick test.)

As far as I can tell my Kindle DX has no issues with the new version.

But since I've cannot make use of the Whispernet with my US Kindle in Europe I have not tested any active feature.

The only unexpected issue was to get the registration done again without being able to connect to amazon. (I finally used the reginfo file from my k3g kindle.)

The other surprise was a drained battery in just a few hours standby, but I assume that's the index process recreating the database.

In the log were some error messages about kernel module paths which could not be deleted. Not sure if that's normal and maybe I have some useless files now in the rootfs.. I've attached the log for those who want to have a look.
Attached Files
File Type: txt make-package.log.txt (482.3 KB, 364 views)
deagol is offline   Reply With Quote