View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 02:46 AM   #5
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Thanks for a great reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I wanted a way to read Project Gutenberg in bed, and my netbook didn't do the job very well. So, I started researching ebook devices.

Due to my usual reading position, weight was something of an issue; I don't read coffee-table books in bed. Mostly, I wanted something that felt good in my hand, instead of reminding me it was there all the time by making me uncomfortable and/or having to prop it on something, such as the person on the other side of the bed, who tends to object to being used as a book stand.
That makes three of you against one of me now. I was discussing this with a friend who said pretty much what you said about reading in bed. He reads lying on his side, so the whole size weight thing is an issue. I read on my back so I can pull my knees up and lean a tablet against my legs, or just lie a laptop on my stomach and angle the screen to suit. My wife who uses our iRiver Story also likes that size of reader for the same reasons you do.

Quote:
But the real killer was the fact that in order to get my own files, or non-Amazon ebooks, onto the Kindle, I'd have to email them off somewhere and pay a fee to have them sent out wirelessly, whereas with the Sony Reader, I could just plug in a USB cable.
That bugged me about the iTouch too. It can be a real fiddle to get a non app book onto it.

Quote:
So, a year+ later, how do I like it?

I love it. We're inseparable. It does exactly what I wanted, and does it better than I dreamed it could. I love being able to pull it out wherever I am and read whatever strikes my fancy at the moment in my 2000+ book library. I have everything in there from Plato and Cicero to recent SF (I do buy a few ebooks), so there's always something that fits my mood.
Good to hear.
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote