View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #38
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Funny story. About 15 years ago when we lived in Orlando, the toll on the East-West Expressway went up from $.50 to $.75. I drove up to the manned toll booth and handed the toll-taker a Susan B Anthony dollar. She snarled at me "it's 75 cents!". I just smiled sweetly and said, "yes, and I'm waiting for my change." She hadn't really looked at the coin and assumed that I had given her a single quarter. The new "gold" color introduced with the Sacajawea dollars and now being used for the US President's series make it much easier to visually identify the coin as "not a quarter". Unfortunately, the US still doesn't have a good system to assist the sightless. I really like the UK system:
1, 2 are round and copper -- small, large
5,10 are round and silver -- small, large
20, 50 are septagonal and silver -- small, large
the euro coins have different sizes and colours (some are bicolor) and also have differently crenelated edges to help in identifying them without seeing them. my chiropractor is legally blind and he got a "practice" set of the coins before they were officially released, so he could have time to get used to them ; i saw him on the day he got them and he could already identify them all just by touching the edges.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote