View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #69
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
You guys have really done a remarkable job. Congratulations and thanks are in order. All too often added functionality means disrupting pre-existing workflows, but as far as I can tell you've more or less completely avoided that conflict.
Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated. We did put a lot of effort into making sure some of the more less used/niche features and behaviours don't get in the way. It was a fine line at times though, there is no doubt there are a whole bunch of things users are not going to discover very easily unless they read about them somewhere or are diligent with investigating all the top/right-click menus and other ctrl+click easter-eggs we put in there. I'll write a post about some of them at some point.
Quote:
There are a couple items that that I'm not sure qualify as bugs, but I might as well bring it up, anyway. In BV, hitting page down scrolls one screen from wherever the cursor is (ie treating the cursor as the top of the current screen), whereas in the past it scrolled one screen from the actual top of the screen, independent of the cursor's location. In CV, it retains the "One screen from top of screen" scrolling behavior of past versions. Obviously, the problem with the current BV behavior is that if the cursor is near the bottom of the screen, hitting page down, effectively makes you skip a whole screen. Re-reading this, I realize it isn't really coherent, but I can't figure out how to say it any better...
Ok, there's a couple of things here. First the fact is the previous behaviour was a not very nice kludge to workaround a Qt bug. In Qt < 4.8 if you tried to page down in BV it scrolled massively too far in the document (as in several pages worth). While that workaround gave you perfect scrolling, it didn't move the caret location (frustrating when you start typing and end up way back in the document). It also meant you couldn't do things like shift+page up/down to select text.

So we removed that kludge, and I had thought the new behaviour was ok until you pointed this out. It seems page down only works accurately if your cursor is at the top of the screen first. Grrrr. I will see if there is anything I can do about this though being Webkit it can be a royal pain.
Quote:
The other issue is if you do a "Down" search for a string that is further up the page/screen in CV, the highlighted text appears at the top of the screen, rather than centering.
I will take a look into this also. Some of the more observant of you may have noticed we did change the positioning logic in this release to make it behave nicer. Previously when you did Find Next you would end up with matches at the border of the screen all the time which was very irritating. Now if the entire paragraph block for the next match is not completely visible on screen it will scroll the match to the middle of the screen, like Notepad++ does. However you have found this wraparound case which we missed so I will see if it can be easily tweaked.