View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
They've been promising a fixed and updated Mac version Real Soon Now since well before June. Somehow, I don't think they're going to get around to releasing it at any point before Xmas, and possibly not even after; though it would be nice to be pleasantly surprised.

Offering a download format choice when possible would be the path of least resistance and greater likelihood. Not that I think they'd do that either, given the pre-existing example of the stellar customer-friendly technical changes B&N's management has made to the Fictionwise ebook experience.
Their solution was to revert to the old dead format? Argh. It's like we're back in the "Ha Ha It's a Mac!" '90s. The Mac is (mostly) prime time these days, and even friggin Sony has a Mac app! Not to mention the low-level code (DRM decrypting, for example) should be portable to any platform, especially across Intel. Sheesh.

The solution is to strip the thrice-damned ignoble DRM and actually have a working ePUB on the Mac. And at that point, you can totally punt on the (let's face it) totally inadequate Nook App, and use any ePUB renderer. Heck even the Sony Library app is head and shoulders above the minimalist Nook app.

I've owned a Reader since the first US e-Ink device, the Sony PRS-500. From day one, I have been an advocate for a common format across all e-Readers. We need a break between hardware and software (you don't by BMG CDs and only play them only on Sony players -- they work for every manufacturer's CD players). So we have ePub which is almost there (damn you Kindle!), but then it's crippled by the two biggest players using different, incompatible DRM formats... for no justifiable reason.

Oops, that was a rant! I didn't mean to go there, but in my defense, this is my primary pet peeve with e-Readers, and something I consider a hinderance to large-scale acceptance.

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 11-11-2010 at 11:18 AM.
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote