View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
iSilo used to by my personal all-time-favorite app when I was still stuck to reading e-books on Palms and Pocket PCs. It does an amazing job converting HTML pages for offline usage, and it's also quick in rendering pages.

I am not so sure if it's still a powerful tool as it used to be considering that most devices have some kind of online connectivity nowadays.
Assuming you want to read on line, and have connectivity.

I looked at iSilo back when, but preferred Plucker, an free, open source offline HTML viewer for Palm OS, with an associated cross-platform desktop app to handle the conversion. I don't use Plucker for reading web pages offline -- I use it for HTML ebooks. About 3,200 of the 3,500+ ebooks on my PDA are in Plucker format.

If I used iSilo, I'd be doing the same thing, and connectivity or lack of it would be irrelevant.

Quote:
I wish iSilo would abandon its own file format in favor of one of the more common ones.
Such as? It needs a format capable of handling color, text attributes, embedded images, fonts, and hyperlinks. Which would you suggest it use? (And in the process, do you suggest it drop support for its own format, thereby rendering existing content in that format unreadable?)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote