View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #82
The Straven
Nevermore
The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: ex-iLiad, DR800SG
It's tempting to write a very long list, but I'll keep it to a few that have been mentioned:

Frank Herbert, Dune
Clifford D. Simak, Highway of Eternity
Iain M. Banks, Player of Games

And a few that have not:

Frank Herbert, Destination Void (although not a generally appealing book, the subject matter, mind and consciousness, fascinates me)

Vernor Vinge, Across Realtime (an omnibus of sorts; Marooned in Realtime is the more fantastic of the two stories. A Fire Upon the Deep receives an honorable mention, because while most of the book is amazing, the last fifth fell flat. Rainbow's End was a very well-balanced story, so I'm hoping he's really hit his stride as a writer.)

Stanislaw Lem, Solaris (is the Clooney movie any good?)

Gene Wolfe, The Book of the New Sun (it took me a few tries to get started on this, but once I got into it I couldn't stop. Wolfe may be my favorite author)

David Drake, the Northworld trilogy (available for free from Baen's website; also Hammer's Slammers and Cross the Stars.)

Of course, the best novel may be sitting on a shelf in some used-bookstore, you never know, so it's important to keep searching for it....
The Straven is offline   Reply With Quote