View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Satas - I am interested in this because content searching is something I use extensively, I run Calibre on Windows, but I have colleagues with OS/X.

My understanding is that Recoll is only available for Linux, according to Calibre's Usage Stats 98% of Calibre installations are on Windows or OS/X.

Windows (since Vista) and OS/X have usable built-in content search facilities, i.e. Windows Search (WS) and Spotlight.

Have you considered DocFetcher, it runs on Windows, OS/X and Linux and its open source. Its written in Java so it doesn't have the same code level affinity with Calibre that Recoll would have.

Recoll and Spotlight DO index common ebook file types such as ePUB and Mobi, DocFetcher, and WS DO NOT index those file types. I overcome this deficiency by creating and RTF or TXT format via conversion.

However most of the documents I (and my colleagues) want to search originate from PDF, MS or Open Office files. The only source that I use regularly that provides anything else is McKinseys, they've recently started publishing some reports as ePubs alongside their PDF's.

This is what I am now doing in Windows.
  • I search the relevant Calibre Library folder with Windows Search, this presents me with a list of files that match the search term
  • I copy/paste the paths of the results into my text editor (Notepad++), which I massage into csv form with Author and Title columns.
  • I then load the csv into Import List plugin, which it matches to the Calibre database and from there I can create a reading list, add a tag to the books - basically do whatever I want.
Since last night my colleague is doing the same thing on her Macbook using Spotlight.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-17-2013 at 06:29 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote