View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Actually the best way to view a comic book is to save them as jpegs and view them as pictures.
I know that saving them as LRF or PDF you'll lose quality.
So far I said the best resolution for pictures converted to PDF is 377x277; all other sizes, the PDF will get resized.
You may not really see the difference between a picture with resolutions of 1600x1134 compared to a 8Mpix picture, but 6 or 8Mpix is way more stressing on the reader.

It is also possible that your PDF creator is resizing the pictures automatically.
Generally I would not use PDF for anime, because of the filesize, and seeming quality issues too. (I mean, it nearly always gets resized to fit the screen).
I have a version of Adobe Acrobat, and can save as acrobat 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8, or 9 file.
A file on Acrobat4 displays perfectly on the reader, but an acrobat 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 does not.
My Acrobat 4 file (of a text book with images) also happened to be around 12 MB.
On Acrobat 9 that was only 3,5MB; displayed perfect on the computer, but not on the reader.
Perhaps because it uses Jpeg2000 instead of the Jpeg codec.

The fact is that it does not really matter which resolution you have your images on.
The reader will display them if they're encoded in gif or regular jpeg.
And you may not even notice a large difference at all in quality.
But like I mentioned, I just wanted to find that '1:1' resolution, that is easier on the reader to decode, saves you some milliseconds of decoding, and some battery life, and gives you your image 100% correct.
Eg: if you encode your images to 600x768, one horizontal line will be removed from the image.
Likewise, on 800x577, 10 horizontal lines will be interpollated.
You won't notice much of it on pictures though; except if they be very detailed.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote