View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #148
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I have a gmplay-2.0, which plays video in one thread and "noisy rhythms" audio in another thread. On my k5, it plays perfectly, using abou 12% CPU. Of course, knowing that the K3 eink update burns CPU, I need to test it there too... EDIT: On the K3, it burns 93% CPU (mostly in the eink update call). But the video plays full speed even with synthesized sound. EDIT2: After recompiling with optimization (-O3) it now uses 82% CPU on the K3 -- a useful improvement.

Old message:
Spoiler:
Strangely, on the K3, my original noisy demo has the sound fading in and out. It was working perfectly before. Strange change in behavior. Only difference is I use -O3 when compiling it this time. Restarting it now to try again on the K3.

EDIT: Restart did not help K3. The "noisy rhythms" demo drops in and out even compiled without -O3. It was working before on the DX/K3/K5. The K5 still works.

Strange...

I just tested twobob's tones demo, and it has the same "in and out" behavior. The dropouts are abrupt, but it resume with a fade-in (just like when you connect headphones for other audio). The interruptions are non-periodic (about 1 second in, 1 second out, varying by about 1/2 second in duration). It is a general sound problem affecting tones and noise demos on my k3, not fixed by a restart.

I *was* messing with amixer and alsamixer yesterday. I wonder if one of them wrote crap config data to /etc or something...

UPDATE: My K3 sound works (for noisy and tones) after turning down the volume. It must have some kind of overload detection that makes it drop out for a bit if it is too loud. I had it turned up for the quiet 8kb8mono.wav|aplay test (which is still quite even at max volume).

So, if there are sound dropouts, turn down the volume.

The next step in this path of combined Audio/Video evolution of gmplay is to use sound interleaved into the video file, instead of synthesizing it.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-16-2012 at 06:43 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote