View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #49
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by curb View Post
k4nt, never upgrade, Window 7 platform, unfamiliar with linux,

i tried diagnose mode,copy runme.sh and data.tar.gz into kindle throug usb export, magic restart,and nothing happend.

it remains what it was this morning, freeze at the tree screen, 50%.
i have no idea about ssh, what do you mean by enter ssh mode?
If you have a RUNME.done file on the kindle, you need to delete that before RUNME.sh can be run again. It is there to prevent a bad RUNME.sh file from causing an infinite reboot loop, and prevents RUNME.sh from running until you delete RUNME.done. When RUNME.sh runs, another RUNME.done file will be created on your kindle USB drive.

SSH means "Secure Shell", which is a modern replacement for the old Telnet protocol. It lets you connect to your kindle and get a root shell command prompt, where you can type linux commands that tell the kindle what to do. You can repair you kindle from there using linux commands, but if you feel uncomfortable with that, you can instead use my data.tar.gz from the "Select Boot" first post, and one of the various RUNME.sh scripts that contain linux commands to obtain status messages and do the repair for you.

You can replace damaged of missing scripts in your main system boot partition, or you can replace that entire partition with a "factory original" backup copy. You can zero the /var/local partition if it was filled from indexing too many books. These things are documented in multiple places, but I recommend the "simple debricking" and "select boot" threads.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-08-2012 at 03:05 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote