View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #28
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Well, I have been thinking why I found this book " old fashioned".

The casual racism is one of the things that led me think this. I grew up, was brought up wth the same casual racism. That was rather a part of life then, and though I never questioned it at the time, I didn't share it of course. So, when reading this book I hardly noticed it, wasn't bothered by it, as I somehow expected it, being a book from the fifties.

The other thing is the omniscient presence of the narrator. Again, this didn't bothered me and I "expected" it as well, being brought up by strict religious parents with a God who was said to "see all, even the tiniest hair on your head". So, such a narrator would be acceptable for me.

These two things goes to show, for me that is, how initial upbringing can influence a view on book, rather than a subsequent academic education. Interesting......
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote