View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
abbotrichard - I had exactly the same problem when I started doing epubs. The files I was converting had been created by others so I didn't have their history. I would copy from the print file to an empty indesign file and all the : " ' endash emdash ended up with their numeric equivelent. ie

´ ´
& &
¦ ¦
• •
¸ ¸

I thought I could get around this by copying all into note pad then into a fresh new inDesign file but they followed me and in a book of 15 chapters or so they only appeared in two chapters.

I checked that the encoding was UTF-8 but found no answer either here or with our in-house web designer who rights in code all day.

Fortunately the incidences of it happening stopped with the newer books but my solution to the problem was to unzip the epub package. Open one of the files (usualy the OPF to add the date meta data which indesign doesn't do) and do a find and replace in all files in that directory with notepad++

ie find • and replace with •

Then when the author wants changes to the book you have to make the changes in the HTML not inDesign otherwise you have to start the whole process all over again.

By the way that was back when I was using CS4. I'm using CS5 now and haven't seen the problem.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote