View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chaseley View Post
90% sample, that's a very interesting idea. I just went with 20%, because that's what you get with Amazon. There's some sort of nagging fear I can't place my finger on over giving 90% away.

I might be "brave" and go for 50% as a little test...

Possible, potentially flakey argument against high percentage: Perhaps readers want to zip through a short sample, and, having a much larger one, never actually finish it, and thus never buy the book?
A ninety percent sample seems like a huckster's gimmick to me. I don't like those 'previews' that give you the first 11 chapters or such, either.
"Here....read, enjoy! Good, huh? Oh, you want to know the ending? Fork over the cash, Clyde."

Just rubs me the wrong way.

I also hate samples that don't get you past the table of contents and the dedication page.

I just want to see enough to get the style and tone, and see if I start to get drawn in.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote