Thread: Help me Decide
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Help me Decide

I love technology devices. My MP3 player (Cowon X5L) was something I spent a lot of time deciding on - I made the right decision and I'm over the moon with it.

Last year on holiday I thought to myself "I wish someone would make a proper electronic book, something designed just for books, something cheap, easy on the eyes" and the next day in USA Today I read about Amazon's Kindle which was just about to be launched. It didn't appeal to me - no interest in connecting to a wireless mobile phone like network, it looks ugly, etc etc.

However when I got back home to sunny Scotland I sniffed about on the internet and saw Sonys reader, forgot about it until a few weeks ago and since then I've been looking all over the place to find out more about them.

I've now decided I have to have one. It isn't the case that money is no object, sadly. However within reason I'll pay what I need to get the device that's right.

The device has to last a few years. Eventually when I replace my MP3 player I'd want an epaper device with masses of storage. But for now, there are no MP3 players that have epaper, and no ebook readers that have masses of storage. So it's going to be 2 devices until then.

As far as I am aware (please correct me if I'm wrong) there are several devices, but a few of these immediately jump out as nos.

Readius - Out because I don't think the rollable paper thing offers me any advantages. I'd be paying a premium for that, plus it's not even available yet.

Iliad - Out because it's the old eink technology, plus it's expensive, and I have no need to write on it.

Between the rest I can't choose.

So I'm hoping people can tell me not what is right about them, but what is wrong about them. I'll likely decide against a device because of a drawback that would affect me.

I've looked at the Cybook and the Sony 505. The other two (HanLin V3 and STK 101) I've not seen a great deal on. I also think the STK101 doesn't use Vizplex, so that'd put it out too.

I'll be using the devices to read fictional books. Perhaps the odd non-fiction, but they'd be in the style of a fiction book (biographies etc).

Can anyone offer any advice?
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote