View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #79
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I saw Apple (the IIe) and then the MAC and Lisa and it appeared to me that they were nice and easy for people not used to computers to use, however to me they appeared to be like shiny little sports cars that could go really fast down a flat track, but were way too expensive. Also they had their hoods welded shut, and you had to have a license to put air in the tires.
I don't know about the Lisa and Mac, but I once wrote a small Apple II freeware program and can say that every system-controlled byte in the Apple II was documented and addressable from code. Except maybe for the Apple IIGS, all Apple II models are more open than Linux, mainly because of Linux having security features.

It's true that you had to buy an Apple II ROM license if you wanted to manufacture it, and since hardly any computer companies did, I suppose there is something to your air-in-the-tires complaint.

Quote:
Linux and the like seem to me to be for programmers, Geeks, and Trons.
I'm afraid this is true. The allegedly traumatizing user interface change going from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is small compared to getting used to Linux -- and the Linux GUI I have been getting used to -- KDE -- is actually supposed to be more Windows-like than the other popular Linux GUI, Gnome.

Of course, many eReaders (and GPS devices) run on Linux without most end users ever noticing.