View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #61
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ditto plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
I like the idea of having a multi-use machine.
Why pay $100 for a dedicated e-reader when, for another $100-150 you can have e-mail and all the other apps available now and in the future in the app store?
To me it's a no-brainer. (I find reading on the backlit screen is acceptable for my moderate usage, but I can't argue whether it's as good as a reflective screen 'cause I've never had one)

And that's the reasoning that's brought me to buy three 7 inch tablets in the last 12 months!

Incidentally, when is MobileRead going to accept the rise of the tablet for reading and give them their due on this forum? It seems to me there's a conscious or unconscious bias here against backlit tablets as legitimate e-readers and I wonder if and when MR is ever going to come around?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Because it's an extra $100-$150, which means around 10 fewer books you can afford to buy. And just because you can afford $100 doesn't mean you can afford twice that or more.
...in addition to that, what if one does not desire the other functions? What if one reads more than 3 or 4 hours during a single day (battery issues and potential eye-strain)?

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote