View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #259
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
This is where you make the big mistake. The way Windows 8 works maybe doesn't bother YOU, but it does bother ME, and many other people.

Maybe it's not more complex than Windows 7, and the only thing is indeed that it is different. Fair enough. In that case, it comes down to:

"Does someone like the new way of working?"

In my case, it's "No". The difference is just that: a difference, and I don't see this new way of doing things as an improvement with regard to my daily computing tasks.
Exactly.

If I'm going to have to learn a new OS, I might as well switch to Linux, where at least my options are customizable.

Windows 8 removes the reason to stick within the Windows OS collection. It's not an upgrade; it's a whole different game, and if I have to learn from scratch, I could maybe try one of those other OS's that my geek friends are always telling me about.

The details of the pros and cons don't matter nearly as much as the fact that it's not "just keep doing what you were before; here's a half-page list of changes you'll have to deal with." Since I have no interest in a tablet, I have no interest in using a system designed for one--no incentive to buy a new computer anytime soon. My XP laptop is getting old and I'd love to replace it this year, but I won't be "upgrading" it for a W8 machine; I'll either fine a used W7 device or switch to to Mac or Unix.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote