View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #8
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I'm not quite sure what you are looking for. I've got the Pocket First Aide and CPR on my iPhone, which gives some basic what to do's in first aid situations. There are a number of first aid articles in backpacker magazine (backpacker.com). You can always download and put them in a book.

Backpacker magazine's Trailside First Aid by Molly Absolon sounds like part of what you are looking for. It's available at amazon for the kindle. Hiking Survivial Guide by Conrad Blake is another that might suit you.

It might help to know if you have a specific need in mind. For example, what you need to know for hiking the AT is rather different that what you need to know for hiking in the Amazon, which is different than what you need to know for hiking in Alaska. Many hiking first aid kits include a first aid guide.
Good point, I'm learning already. Let's start out with recommendations for the continental US.

I'm looking for things at a fairly general level, I'll pick more specific information once I've got a better idea. Some things I thought of are:

First aid books that include things like bracing and splinting for long enough to get to a hospital and how to treat various types of animal attacks.
Books on what is edible, poisonous or itchy.
How to treat water so it's drinkable.
Advice on low-impact camping.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote