View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #192
gstew
gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.gstew knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: HTC HD2 & One X
Angry Another long, sordid tale...

First, to keep the important part easy to follow, I'll put my story at the end.

I've gone through this thread again tonight and as far as I can see, NOONE who has posted here has seen all of their Fictionwise/EReader items transferred, with the greatest number being 185, then 46, then my 31.

I also did a little web-searching on this last weekend, but haven't since. I found a few references to the Fictionwise/EReader shutdowns and bookshelf transfers, a couple references to the debacle that it's been, but NO reports of anyone getting all of their bookshelves transferred. Has anyone here had that happen or seen reference to that happening?

And have you seen other good sources of info on the situation other than this thread?

I'm happy that I have all of my bookshelf items backed up. But I haven't really addressed removing DRM & converting them to a format I can use in the future... and I'm REALLY hoping that this transfer will keep me from having to do that quickly. I did start buying materials from B&N after the Fictionwise/EReader purchase, mainly because I REALLY dislike Amazon's EBook business practices. Now I get to choose between the devil and the incompetent!

Enough venting. Is there any effort to coordinate an organized response to B&N? If so, I'd like to participate... and if not, I'd sure like to be part of making that happen. Right now, all I think we know is:

1. B&N is shutting down Fictionwise & EReader.

2. They have promised to transfer our bookshelves over except for what in practice looks to be a very small percentage of items for most people.

3. Their processes to notify customers, allow them to opt-in, and convert/transfer their books are all broken.

4. They know this and have said they are fixing the problems.

5. We are seeing no results from their efforts and receiving no updates on what's going on.

I'd like to hear from B&N management a statement telling us that they know there's a problem and what they are doing to get everyone's eligible items transferred over... and by when that will happen. Oh, and also how they'll keep us informed in the future.

A bit more venting... They REALLY should take care of us. We've proven that we are book and Ebook consumers. As the reading population continues to decline, we'll be a core portion of their customer base. Given this, I'm a bit miffed at how we've been treated!

Enough venting... anyone got intell on any full transfers, any other good information sources, and whether there's an organized response started?

Thanks!

Greg

P.S. Here's my story... feel free to skip it if you wish.

I started ebooking with Peanut Press back in 1999 & now have 225 EReader & 690 Fictionwise estories/emags/ebooks on my bookshelves.

I got both an EReader and a Fictionwise notice email on 11/16. The Fictionwise notice came in the morning. I responded immediately, got a code, & submitted it to start the conversion. It looked as though it had stopped when I returned from lunch & saw the EReader notice. I responded to it also, got a code that was the duplicate of the Fictionwise one, and submitted it. The website said that the code had already been used.

I checked and saw that only 31 items had made it into my B&N bookshelf. I submitted customer service requests to B&N, EReader, and Fictionwise & then called the B&N Support number. They said there had been issues & it might take up to 24 hours.

I waited until midday 11/18, saw that no more books had converted, & saw a response from B&N support that said:

"Thank you for writing to us about the email which you received to transfer your eReader account books to your Nook.

If you have specific questions regarding the transfer of your eBooks to a NOOKŪ Library, we kindly request you to go through the FAQ's by clicking on the below link:

http://www.fictionwise.com/BN-Transition-FAQ.htm

If you need immediate assistance, we kindly request you to reach us through our toll-free number 855-654-9332. Our agents are available from Monday to Friday at 8AM-11PM ET, on Saturdays and Sundays we are available from 9AM to 11PM ET."

Basically, nothing, so I called called B&N Support again. They said that the Fictionwise techs were aware of the issue and that they'd be moving over the remainder of everyone's books during the next week.

11/23, I received an email back from Fictionwise support and another from EReader. Both said:

"Thank you for opting to transfer your eReader Bookshelf to a NOOK Library.

We are continuing the transfer process which is ongoing during the week of November 19, 2012. If you have more titles that are eligible for transfer, we will deliver those titles to your new NOOK Library. You do not need to do anything more in this process as any transferrable remaining titles will appear automatically in your NOOK Library."

I've looked for all of the authors I've purchased on the "no-transfer" list at B&N & saw 2 of my purchases there. I also saw 3 additional combos that contained books I'd purchased separately. I'm hoping the latter will be ok as the books are not listed separately.

So I expect MANY more than 31 to be transferred.

Enough of my story... Here's to getting all our books transferred!
gstew is offline   Reply With Quote