View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #49
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
My HD+ has the latest firmware on it and it does not have the same functionality with the back button, multi-tasking or system settings as my HD which is running straight android.
I bought an HD+ but it has not arrived yet so I don't know if it is different from the stock firmware on my HD. But stock on the HD has the software back button which shows up when you are in an app, a recent drawer, and easy access to ALL system settings via the drop down notification center. The recent drawer lets you switch easily between all recent apps. Are you saying the HD+ stock firmware lacks all of that? I will be really disappointed if that is the case.

Quote:
But even if I didn't want that change, I would definitely have to go with a different launcher - the stock Nook look seems geared toward 4 year olds with its kitschy icons.

The stock B&N GUI is highly customizable. I put on my own wallpaper, and you can make the big horsey carousel on the home page totally disappear, which is what I did.

What "kitschy" icons are you talking about? The nav buttons on my device are white (dropout) which look pretty classy, IMO. As far as the other icons, I have customized all of mine which show up on the screens and aren't in folders by using Play apps. All my folder icons also have customized images.

The only thing I can't change that I don't care for is the "Your Nook Today" button on the main home page, but it doesn't really bother me all that much either. If it did, I'd use an alternate launcher.

Believe me, I'm really picky about GUIs. That's why I would hesitate to ever buy another iOS device again. Main problem with iOS products is you can't easily customize anything -- except for the wallpaper -- without jailbreaking. And I just hate the look of iOS7. Talk about a GUI geared towards kiddies!! Those flat sherbet-colored icons would make me feel ill every time I looked at them. (Sorry if there are any big Apple fans here, but that is how I truly feel.)

If I had iOS7 I would feel the need to jailbreak it to get another GUI. But I find the stock HD/HD+ GUI so customizable that I didn't even put an alternate launcher on it, let alone another ROM.

So, from a functional standpoint, there is very little that pure android can do that the stock HD/HD+ can't do either natively or with a widget or Play store add-on. From a GUI perspective, the same thing goes with a few exceptions such as the "Nook Today" button I mentioned. And it's not worth it to me to address those exceptions with a new ROM, because then I'd lose some of the things I like about the native B&N firmware -- such as the catalogs, scrapbooks, native reader (which I like for PDFs) and book recommendations. Yes, I actually like the way B&N suggests similar books to me based on what's already in my library. So the tradeoffs aren't big enough for me to put on a new ROM.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote