View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #180
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post

I find a recommendation from a live salesman to be far, far, infinitely more useful than a statistical analysis from a computer.
This is probably correct, although I find neither of them to be very useful. Typically, I can find the best answers to my questions on the internet generally, which means that the 1% accuracy of Amazon's recommendations or the 5% accuracy of live salesman recommendations aren't very useful in general. And it's a lot easier to find information on the internet while browsing Amazon than it is while in a B&M store, at least with respect to books, electronics, and typical consumer goods.

However, in more specialized areas, I do prefer live salespeople in certain instances. I've dealt with some very knowledgeable salespeople in outdoor/outfitting shops, for example, and (a few years ago, now), in camera shops. Particularly those salespeople who are able to provide the rarest, but most useful information: "You don't need that."
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote