View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 04:28 AM   #175
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
It's eaiser - and certainly faster - to do so in a brick & mortar store. Again, there are inherent limitations because of the mail order format.
I disagree, actually. Mail order certainly has the advantage of being delivered right to my doorstep. That's a huge plus in convenience, and if I don't like a particular book (it happens, if not very often) I'll return it for free within 7 or so days, another thing I can't do in a B&M store.

There is another deal-changer for us here in Europe: book-price fixing. It doesn't matter where you buy your (German) books, they cost the same everywhere: friendly neighborhood store, big chain store, Amazon & Co. (Hence the free shipping, otherwise Amazon books would be more expensive than those bought in a B&M store.)

If and when I order books from Amazon & Co., it's because of their selection, and the service & convenience. Price is not a factor. (This only applies to German books. English books are not regulated, so every store can charge what they want. There are a few stores (British Bookshop etc.), but they charge an arm and a leg, i.e. practically always above the publisher-recommended retail price.)

Last edited by rogue_librarian; 02-16-2013 at 04:31 AM.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote