View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #42
Rajmahid
Enthusiast
Rajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with othersRajmahid plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you not simply consider it a cultural difference, on a par with the spelling variations between British and American English?
Of course it's a cultural difference, Harry. Vive la difference. I truly appreciate and comprehend. However, despite single styling being typically the British style while double is North American, it's not a hard and fast rule. I find the British to a bit less consistent; while their traditional practice has been the exact opposite of American, many recent British books and periodicals follow American practice.

Bottom line, Harry, it's all about personal preference. And if given a choice, I'll always prefer double quotes. End of story --
Rajmahid is offline   Reply With Quote