View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #29
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Cool

Lot of leaps of logic and logic fallicies below which I now see there is no need to engage in. Whew! Some folks! ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Because it's no more or less try than any other source.

That doesn't make it right. All the teachers used to say that humans had 48 chromosones, but it turns out it was only 46.

The fact he singled out Wikipedia specifically indicates, by inference, that he doesn't have a problem with said students citing from regular encyclopedias, which could be even more innacurate. The fact he trusts the info written down in dusty old books, but not on Wikipedia, indicates a propensity for accepting regurgitated read info without thoughtful analysis as to the source. His inability to accept Wikipedia as a source indicates a weakness in critical thinking.

The issue is not that he fully understands the problems of Wikipedia; I doubt he even does, but I'll grant it for the sake of argument. The issue is that he doesn't equivalently understand the problems of other cited sources, and yet accepts those sources while marginalizing Wikipedia. He furthermore foists this attitude off on students, which is bad teaching, especially in a digital age where people who do not know how to properly use tools like Wikipedia will be at a disadvantage in adulthood.

People should not be offended when they are informed they hold a poorly reasoned opinion; they should be thankful that someone is trying to correct their belief for their own benefit as well as the benefit of others.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote