View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 11:34 AM   #57
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp
Good books have a way of getting out: Nabokov's Lolita was turned down by one American publisher after another, but there is generally always one ... who will "discover" the obvious.
All they're saying is that today Nabocov could have published Lolita himself on the Web, missed all that futzing around with publisher after publisher, kept almost all the profits himself, and with some sort of way to match people with books they'll like, he'd have sold quite a few copies.

You don't have to be convinced, but it doesn't hurt to recognize when the other perspective has a point, even if you don't find it compelling. I find that, if nothing else, it gives me a better rounded perspective on my own opinions to have considered opposing ones. Besides, if my position can't handle frank examination of opposing evidence without falling apart, then I didn't have a very well thought out opinion in the first place, and I clearly need a new one!

Please note: That last paragraph is intended as a general observation, and should not be constued as implying that either position in the discussion is wrong. If I wanted to say that, I'd just flat out say it -- being a Texan, and all.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote