View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
I am unfortunately not qualified, neither by language nor experience, but AFAIR kindlekitten and DarkScribe have reported outdoor experience in other threads.
We have a lot of ex-mils, mounties etc. You'll find just the right ones on MR.
I am a "survivalist" in the sense that I enjoy spending time without any of the support offered by modern civilisation, both on a yacht at sea/among uninhabited islands, and in trekking in wilderness where I need to live off the land. I find such time to be re-enervating - both physically and emotionally - relaxing and enjoyable. I am not an expert in post apocalypse survival though there might be much overlap depending on the particular apocalypse. My expertise lies in being able to manage medically, find or create potable water, locate or hunt/trap food, and navigate without instruments. It is not in managing the ubiquitous roaming savage zombie-like gangs that many survival novels insist will be the norm. My approach to such gangs would be to avoid them, go to places that would not attract them; not start a shooting war. It will still come back to whether it is an engaging read and realistic in its approach to survival.

I would not be interesting in editing (I have enough urgent work already) but I would be happy to read and make brief suggestions if appropriate.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote