View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
pwr
pwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with otherspwr plays well with others

Device: Kindle 4NT
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
***raises hand to volunteer a k3 for testing***
Shiny.

Working with the Kindle 4 (NT), there are a few files and components that are used on the device to make KSP work (I'm assuming you have jailbroken the Kindle 3 and can SSH in):
  • /proc/usid - should contain the device serial (in the form B00...)
  • /var/local/java/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.framework/ServerConfig - a configuration file, may contain the urls the device uses to talk to Amazon's services; this is one of the files that need changed
  • /opt/amazon/ebook/config/ServerConfig.conf - the master configuration for service urls; does not need to be modified, but helps as a reference to what the urls look like; it has entries like url.todo=https://todo-g7g.amazon.com/...
  • /var/local/java/prefs/certs/client.p12 - a java keystore containing the device's client SSL certificate; needs to be copied in your KSP's deployment, in the ./db folder, and named device_serial.p12
  • /usr/java/lib/security/cacerts - CA certificates used by the Java GUI
  • /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt - CA certificates used by the book downloading service

To work with the Kindle 3, these files (or some equivalent of them) would be necessary on the device. I think -- I'm not at all sure the Kindle 3 works the same as the Kindle 4. Could you check they exist, and what their contents look like? If /opt/amazon/ebook/config/ServerConfig.conf exists, could you PM me its contents?

The manual configuration procedure (for Kindle 4 NT) is detailed at https://github.com/pwr/KSP/blob/master/docs/devices.md, in the "Configuration changes" section (btw, I recomend reading all the docs there before fiddling with your Kindle). There are a couple of scripts I've written to do the configuration automatically on the Kindle 4, but don't run them on the Kindle 3 -- quite likely they will not work (or worse).

When locally testing the configuration, you can probably just use a HTTP server_url, and ignore the parts about HTTPS server ceriticates and CA files -- but would still love to know if those files exist on the device. However, if you do make it work though, and plan to use your device with KSP all the time, I strongly advice using a HTTPS url for KSP -- the traffic between the device and KSP can be quite sensitive.

Then, assuming you've convinced your Kindle to talk to the KSP daemon, I would love to see some of KSPs logs (in ./logs/), to make sure it's understanding and handling the calls it receives properly. If not, seeing the logs will help me do the appropiate fixes.

If you have any questions, or find the documentation unhelpful, please let me know. I've tried to write the documentation as complete and clear as I could, but it's quite likely I've failed in both .

Many thanks

Cheers,
-pwr
pwr is offline   Reply With Quote