View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #30
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Kobo Touch
I played with one of these breifly, but I found the touch aspect of the screen quite erratic. Sometimes it didn't respond, even when I tapped it sharply with my fingernail, and then swiping would turn two or even three pages at once. I think this would drive me nuts.
The latest firmware seems to be slightly less responsive than in past. It should be back to a more responsive state after the next firmware.

Quote:
I liked the contrast of the screen (even with the white case), but actively disliked the prospect of the store permanently taking up part of the screen or adding books to me book list. That's intrusive and, to my mind, objectionable.
It is possible to change it so that it will show your shortlist rather than recommend/new release books. Currently this isn't persistent when you sync (you have to switch is back to shortlist after a sync), but that will also be fixed in the next firmware.

Quote:
I really disliked the non-standard USB connector, which means neither of my wall chargers nor my car charger would work with this device, and seems to make the device quite vulnerable - where do you get replacements for this? I've never seen that plug type before, and even the Kobo website doesn't list the cable as a purchasable item.
That would make me want to ask if you weren't looking at a Kobo Vox (which does have a proprietary charger apparently)? The Kobo Touch has a pretty standard Micro USB (NOT a Mini USB) connector (as John said). Most cell phones in North America have used this for at least a couple of years and if I'm not mistaken it is becoming the regulated standard in the EU.
As John suggested I convert RTF files with Calibre to e-pub and it works well.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote