View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
BigWaffles
Enthusiast
BigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-books

Device: K2, KDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
BigWaffles wrote "Now I’m not a purist by any stretch, but I would like to see the basic e-reader remain as it was intended; a basic device for reading books, nothing else."

The trend of make it a "do everything" device will continue. And that is what the market demands. Consider that you chose to buy a Kindle. A kindle plays mp3'3, has connectivity for buying books, a simple web browser, picture viewer, has a keyboard for input of text, does text to speech, plays audio books...... hardly "a basic device for reading books"..... but you, along with many others, chose the Kindle as your "book reader". I am not putting down the Kindle, I am just saying the market is driving this rush to add other functions rather than leave it just a simple book reader.

The very reason I got my little 300 was because I just wanted a book reader, nothing else. But, I bet in 5 years it will be nearly impossible to find just a dedicated book reader. Heck, it's almost that way now.
Bremen Cole,

Agreed, the Kindle has those functions, but I've never seen it marketed as such. The web browsing is not fully supported and has (to my knowledge) never been updated to make it easier to use. The text-to-speech is spotty and only works with those books that the author has allowed it to work on. Personally, I don't use the wireless and have never tried the MP3 playback.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that even though the Kindle has those functions, they are more in the backgroud instead of selling points. I've always seen it marketed as a reader first and the other functions hardly mentioned at all.

Maybe that does make me a purist.

C.P.T.
BigWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote