View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #34
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Well, if I printed out those scans and kept them on paper instead of as a digital file, it would be completely legal. The intent of the law is to stop illegal filesharing. Since the books are Danish, and somewhat obscure, it's highly unlikely I would be able to get them from anywhere else.

Edit, added: This is why I stated that the law doesn't really take books into account. As I said, I can completely legally make a paper copy of any book I borrow, provided I do it myself, and for my own private use. I don't really think there is much difference between keeping a scan of the books rather than a paper copy - not in a sense that would matter. As much work is involved, as well as data loss. It's not like copying a digital music file. And I've not put it up for download.
Maybe Danish law allows you to do that. In the US, you don't have the right to make copies of complete books that you don't own so that you can keep one.

Maybe, also there is a cultural difference, but for me, I see this as theft.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote