View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #59
erayd
Zealot
erayd doesn't littererayd doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
If your original source code was release under the GPL, while it's polite to ask if you could integrate their code, they don't really have a say in this. They are bound to publicly release their changes to the code under a GPL-compatible license. Legally, you don't have to ask their permission, and they don't have to give you one. You can integrate their code either way.

I'm saying all this to make sure you are aware of your rights. I applaud the intent to ask first though.
I am aware of my rights... that said, my original code wasn't actually licensed to anyone - it was made available, but there was no provision for modification or distribution (and as such, all mods in this thread are technically illegal). I would like to rectify this and place it all under a license everyone is happy with, rather than simply catering to my own whims. I prefer GPLv2 for a number of reasons, but if others would prefer something else I'd be quite happy to consider it.

I wrote this because I wanted the functionality, and I released it because I thought others may also want it - the contributions were an unexpected surprise, but I'd like to tidy this up now while it's still easy, before there are so many changes it all gets a bit out of hand.
erayd is offline   Reply With Quote