View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 02:32 AM   #28
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The viewer does not show custom metadata.
That it doesn't is confusing. So with command line, ebook-meta shows all metadata in the format, including custom metadata. In the GUI, there doesn't seem to be a place to see the custom metadata that is in the format, except in booklist only the custom columns that happen to coincide with the named fields in the metadata, with values that may since have changed. (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
And Polish does update custom metadata.
Huh. Thanks for that answer. I don't remember seeing that in the user manual. If it is, I missed it. ETA: the Polish Book dialog "About" updating metadata doesn't mention custom columns, just mentions updating "all metadata except the cover" with the note about various formats not supporting all the metadata. My bad assumption about Polish not handling custom metadata is now also busted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
...No cover in saved book, the formatting hasn't been screwed up and the metadata is embedded. I have to drag it back to where it came from and delete it from where I saved it - but I can live with that.

@unboggling - Thanks for bringing that to my attention and to KG for putting it there.

BR
You're welcome. Though that was mostly a serendipitous byproduct of my own slightly different assumption/confusion -busting.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@unboggling - you can see the custom columns in the EPUB via the Book Editor. If you want to see it in the viewer you need a customised metajacket - I hacked Modify to put the jacket at the back of the book

BR
Ah. Thanks. I hadn't noticed before, the content.opf under Miscellaneous in Edit Book. That is sufficient for me. I don't use metadata jackets. I was under the impression that metadata jackets don't include custom columns, unless that is hacked too.

Last edited by unboggling; 02-23-2014 at 01:54 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote