View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #33
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Not really... It all depends on location. A smaller store in a busy upscale shopping area can be very expensive per square foot. A larger store requires fewer deliveries, has plenty of room for a cafe and author signings and educational toys and puppets, and obviously can carry a lot more titles -- which means a broader appeal.
Yes, very expensive, per square foot. So, decrease from 25 copies per book, to 5...and you free up book storage/display space...you still keep the same number of titles...basic math: 100,000 titles x 25 copies each is a lot more space than 100,000 titles x 5 copies each...you still keep all the other stuff...less space=less square footage=costs less...who says they have to be in an expensive mall?? - just a good location.

Quote:
I forgot to mention that breaking leases or selling property is expensive; getting new leases or buying property is expensive; moving stores is costly; staff will be disrupted or fired... Not good.
...not sure what you are saying...are you arguing FOR them keeping ALL of their stores open, or what??

Quote:
Ah, I forgot, the appeal of the browsing space. Yeah, that definitely doesn't work.

If you encourage customers to treat the physical stores as a showroom, the stores will not be sustainable. Their sales will plummet, and they can't keep the stores open.
Isn't that happening already?? I buy a lot from the internet, but I am NOT one of those that finds ALL my books online - I actually enjoy going to the book store...your arguments are a little confusing?

Quote:
If you missed it, the Nook is unprofitable; B&N is losing money on ebook sales. Turning the stores into showrooms would be a one-way ticket to Chapter 11.
The nook as a reading device is not very good...it's not surprising it is not doing well....so what are you recommending?? They are already losing money - that was the point of the thread. They either need to ban ebooks all together (not going to happen) or they need to cater to those who like to read them...provide a great social atmosphere that people enjoy coming to and perusing books. If they see something they like, they can easily download the book from their very own, competitively priced store. Perhaps, a barcode below the display book that will automatically (1-click-like) charge your account, download the book to your device and pull it up so you can start reading. B&N would rather make the sale as an ebook than no sale at all right?

Quote:
You also can't force the customers to buy the ebooks from B&N; and no, free wifi isn't enticing. It's not like you pay $5 in ebook delivery fees on your iPad.
...yes....again, not sure where you are going with this. If the book is the same price as at a competitor's site...and you have the conveniences I mentioned above (or others)...and you're already in the store... why WOULDN'T they buy it there?

Quote:
And who needs it? Ebooks have samples, so you can read a tiny slice of the book before you buy, no matter where you are.
...yes....again, not sure where you are going with this.
Are you saying that you read every sample of every ebook on an internet site to determine what you want to read...and therefore you don't walk around in stores?....OK....have fun. I like to walk in a bookstore occasionally and talk with friends/family as I'm perusing the shelves. That doesn't mean I DON'T buy books from the internet.

Oh, I get it..."Professional Contrarian"...just saw that in your profile...

Cheers!
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote