View Single Post
Old 03-12-2005, 10:22 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Michael,

Of course I do not want you to fail; yet, I very much hope that you will consider offering alternative formats in future.

I give you one example why Mobipocket does not suit everyone: I have an Axim X50v, one of those nifty VGA devices running WM 2003SE. Until today, Mobipocket was unable to deliver an update that would be fully VGA-aware. Look at the screenshot (screen01.png) how fuzzy the font looks like. This is typical for VGA-unaware applications; the font is difficult to look at, and scrolling and navigating is painfully slow. In contrast, readers such as iSilo that are actively supported look very nice on the latest devices. Look at the screenshot (screen02.png) how sharp the font is, making it a true pleasure to read full-length texts.

Here we have a proprietary e-book format that is incompatible with any reader but Mobipocket, a reader that does not even fully support my device. And what if other readers try to support the Mobipocket format? Have a look in this thread. Quote Mobipocket:
Quote:
The fact is that the support of Mobipocket file format is forbidden (encrypted files or not)... They may have done some reverse engineering on the file format, which is not allowed by the EULA any Mobipocket user agree when installing the Mobipocket software.
I will stay far away from Mobipocket. I wish your e-book store all the success it deserves; and perhaps, one day you'll reconsider your choice of only offering one e-book format.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen001.png
Views:	763
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen002.png
Views:	599
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	565  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote