View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #40
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Exclamation Additional comments

I still have got mixed feelings.

There clearly are flaws:
- So far, only the ePUB version is available, no mentioning of Mobipocket firmware yet.
It's not Bookeen's fault. But ePUB so far means: No dictionary support.
- PDF support may be acceptable if you don't compare to other units and Opus is your only choice. You could reformat your PDFs or simply get used to the "fading out" I've described.
But in comparison to Sony 505, iRex iLiad and 1000S or even Kindle DX, it's inferior.
- Already Cybook Gen3's design wasn't my favorite, compared to Sony 505 and 700 or even the Kindles.
But Opus even is a bit less appealing. Gen3 is "plastic" as well, but still kind of "elegant". Opus is "plasticky" and could be a calculator or something like that as well. It's no disaster, BeBook for example feels and looks way "cheaper" for me. But still, it could (and should) be "nicer".
- I don't like the 3 buttons, don't like the Kindle's "jogdial" as well. All of them seem fragile and not really ergonomically correct. And I wonder, whether they'll survive years of heavy reading.

There are significant advantages as well:
- I'm probably not up to date. But so far, I've only heard of Cybook and BeBook/Hanlin offering 5" units. I most likely won't purchase BeBook/Hanlin, didn't like the design of the actual unit at all.
So Opus for the moment seems to be the best choice for me.
- 5" IS interesting and helpful and Opus does its job.
- For ePUB, it's fine.
Display quality could be even better, considering the higher dpi ratio. But it's absolutely okay in comparison to the 6" units.
- It's fast. Feels like my fastest unit in turning pages so far. Maybe that's just because of less information per page, but still....
- Seems to have one of the better batteries. From tonight's experience, I'd expect about 10 hours.
- It has folder support. You might expect that feature from any reader, but Kindle for example still doesn't have it.
- They have been ultra-fast in delivery. I can't confirm the negative reports about Bokeen at all.

Meaning: My expectations probably have been too high. I've hoped for a "quantum leap" in display quality.
With more realistic expectations, just compared to the competitor's 6" units, I'd rank it a bit better than midrange. Let's say, it makes the lower end of the top 40%. My ranking: Probably 5 of 9. That's without considering the price. If costs are a criteria, it would be around 3 of 7.

Last edited by mgmueller; 08-01-2009 at 12:58 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote