View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krykorya View Post
Thank you for that. I do currently use Calibre to organise the collections on my Kindle, so if Kobo shelves books in a similar fashion to Kindle, then it will be just fine for me.
I've never used a Kindle, so I don't really know how the collections work there.

For the Kobo devices, you define one or more columns to be used for shelves. The driver creates a shelf for each value in the columns and puts all books with that value on the shelf. For my configuration, I use a custom tag-like column and the series column.
Quote:
As far as the improved specs on the Kobo Glo - my eyes are bad enough that the increased screen resolution is unlikely to make any difference to me, but do you think that the increased CPU speed would improve performance when specifically reading from the microSD? I've heard that both Kobo and Sony devices experience serious slow-down when accessing the card.
I wasn't thinking of the SD card. I was simply thinking of the number of books in the library lists. The Kobo devices load the details of the books into an internal database. Everything except actually reading the books works off the database. The faster CPU will make going through the lists or searching faster. The comments I have seen for people with both the Touch and Glo say the Glo is "snappier".

As to performance from the SD card, I can't say I have seen a difference. I don't normally use one, but put one in to test at times. The initial load of the books into the library is no slower than from the main memory. About the only performance hit is with cover images. For books in the main memory, these are generated the first time you see them and saved in the memory. But, for books on the SD card, they are generated each time. This can make displaying the library list seem slow. But, if you are scrolling through the list you can go to the next page before the images are displayed.

Also, commenting on the SD card performance is interesting for another reason. The internal memory of the Glo and some of the Touch's is actually a micro SD card. Kobo might have optimised the access from the internal card, but I would expect it to be similar for both.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote