View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
As I mentioned in another thread where this came up recently, here's my take:

"Write what you know" is a prompt for writers who are blocked, or are struggling to find a topic, or are stumped on how to flesh out a scene.
It is a REMINDER to draw on your own knowledge as a source, freeing you up from having to figure out or make up, or research every concept or image.

It is NOT supposed to be a limiter, as in "ONLY write what you know." That would be, I maintain, some of the worst advice you could get as a writer and would stifle the imagination.

As a limiter, I agree that "know what you write" would be the better advice.

"Write what you know" = a prompt to get the creative juices flowing by reminding you that you DO already have stuff in your head to write about.

"Know what you write" = a caution that if you're going to write about what you don't know, do the research, put in the effort and make it sound believable.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote