View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelRenaud View Post
Reading on LCD sucks - and it's not even about the glare. It's backlit. I was reading on my iPad 2 a few nights ago and couldn't stand it after half an hour. I can read for hours on my Kindle. I just don't see it happening. They have a winning product.
At least for me, the problem with iPad is what we could today regard as its relatively low pixel density (about 133ppi). Kindle/NookColor are 167 or so (my Xoom tablet is 160). Text is noticeably sharper (you would need 20% longer arms to make the iPad appear as sharp), making it easier for the eye to distinguish letter/word forms. I actually think the iPhone/iPod4g is a better reading device in some respects than the current iPad due to the 326ppi density and the minimal weight (at least until it comes to reading PDFs or digital magazines, where higher resolution is essential).

Whatever iPad 3 is, you can bet it will have higher pixel density and will be significantly better for reading text. I figure they will shrink it down to 8" with the same 1024x768 resolution, making it more ergonomic, and maybe also have a 'high def' 10" model with greater resolution.

So I hope the next eInk Kindle will have a higher ppi screen, at least 200ppi.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote