View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 04:31 AM   #64
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
I'm afraid I think this poll is somewhat flawed and that it is 'looking in the wrong direction.'

There have been numerous studies that show children who come from homes that have books do better in education. Strange thing is, the children don't actually have to have read any of those books to do better than their peers. What does this suggest? - Do they benefit from better standards of conversation from day to day? Is there simply a more positive attitude to education in these homes? Does it simply point to these parents being of higher socio-economic status?

I know plenty of people who have post-graduate degrees in English literature, and even who teach the subject, who no longer read for pleasure. Does someone who only reads when forced to count as a 'reader'? I know plenty of people with no real qualifications who get pleasure from reading 'P.S, I Love You' - are we going to choose not to count that book as reading? How about people who read only technical manuals and economics text-books?

I do think there is some truth in the theory that is being suggested here. People who read lots of novels are more likely to value qualifications, exams and formal education. Perhaps it has something to do with being more comfortable accessing exam papers due to higher levels of fluency and increased concentration span.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote