View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #227
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Audible is one of the few places where I really don't mind the DRM. First off, if you really want to get past it, it's easy (though time consuming) to do. Just route the output to your favorite audio recording and you have a nice DRM free recording.

Second, audible has long had a very sensible policy about DRM. Once you are authorized, you don't have to re-authorize that device. So as long as you have that device, you can listen to your books. I'm not sure how different things will be now that Amazon owns Audible (geeze, I really, really hope they don't fold the audible website into the amazon website), but I do know that I can always listen to my audio books regardless and if I need to, I can format shift the audio books into a non-DRM format. If audible ever goes away, that's going to be the first thing that I do.

I do have all my audible books on two different devices (desktop and laptop) as well as backed on a couple of different hard drives. But I do that for all my media (audio books, ebooks, music) exception movies. Those are a bit too big to keep multiple copies of. Apple's approach to DRM for movies (having to re-authorize each time you watch) isn't nearly as good, but that's one reason that I've only purchased a dozen or so movies from Apple.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote