Thread: eips 5.1.0
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
"All existing programs" includes the programs in the Amazon system image.
Yes, that is why they recompiled everything that uses the eink header file instead of fixing that structure in the header file. It locks all recompiled programs to ONLY work with 5.1.x and not with 5.0.x if they need to do eink display updates.
Quote:
Perhaps a short note in the de-bricking sticky about always using a matched kernel/system image pair?
Done! I added a message at the top of the first post, and again just above the forensic image download link.
Quote:
A related question:
Is this e-ink driver a module?
My reasoning -
If it is, then it should be possible to build the new driver module so that it can be loaded into the old kernel (making the old kernel compatible with the new system image).
If we load a new kernel mode eink driver, or load a new kernel with kexec, that would make it a bit hard to integrate my native-mode apps with kindlets like I want to (in a client-server arrangement, perhaps communicating via shared files if necessary).
Quote:
Just a thought tossed out for someone with time on their hands and a working Kindle kernel build environment.
I want to build custom kernels too. Could you please share pointers or links showing what cross-tool versions, headers and librarys I need, etc. ? A link to a little tutorial would be nice to save time experimenting with options. Thanks! (I wish I had more time...)
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote