View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #47
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
5 days of usage

Microsoft Surface RT really is a mixed package after 5 days of (intense) usage:

I love the form factor.
16:9 (or 16:10 or some similar widescreen aspect ratio) to me is way more comfortable and usable than 4:3.

I've briefly tested a 720p Blue-Ray Rip. Absolutely great quality. Vivid colors, great viewing angles. I haven't compared to iPad 3, but on its own it's really great. Speakers are good enough, could be a bit louder though - but no biggy.

There are some great apps. German news magazine "Spiegel" by far is the best version I've seen on all platforms. Tiles instead of tables of content. Visually stunning, way more informative and simply cool.

Performance is absolutely fine. I've got no complaints at all. Even screen rotation and other actions that have been criticized in some reviews are absolutely okay for me.

The tablet itself could be a bit more stylish. It doesn't feel or look cheap. But somehow, the Wow-factor is missing. Quite frankly, it doesn't look like a 600 Euro unit.
The extremely innovative covers somewhat make up for it, but design-wise I'd only rank it slightly above average. Maybe on par with the typical Samsung units.

Battery life is great. I've never done any benchmarks on any of my gadgets. But some tablets I have to charge twice per day. Microsoft Surface RT has to be charged less often than lots of other tablets, although I've used it a lot.

The UI is great and absolutely consistent in all the apps I've tested.
In former versions of Windows, I often didn't like the menu structure in apps. Are settings under "files" or elsewhere?
Here, on Surface RT, it's all the same: Swipe down from the upper bezel, and the options for daily operations appear - all in the very same place.
Swipe from the right bezel, the settings are available.

But:
I'm extremely worried about apps.
So far, no Outlook (which was one of the main reasons for me).
I'm not into games. But I've only stumbled over one worth downloading: Wordament from Microsoft, kind of a Boggle clone. Very nice.
But what about Microsoft Minesweeper or Solitaire?
And I simply miss tons of my "usual" Windows apps.
It very much reminds so far of BlackBerry PlayBook: Phantastic tablet, but doomed from the very beginning due to lack of apps. When finally the Android emulation became available, it was too late already.
I think, Microsoft has to be extremely quick to close the gap and at least make the most essential apps available. Else the Surface RT quickly will be pushed aside by Surface with Windows 8 Pro.
Maybe that's Microsoft's strategy after all? Surface RT as a temporary filler, preparing the market for Windows 8 and then making room for the "real deal"?
Would be a shame though, Surface RT is a nice niche gadget and should "survive"...

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-03-2012 at 07:40 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote