View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Do you have standard firmware on the device?

I ask because one reason the delay happens when calibre and the Sony disagree about when a book has been modified. If calibre supplies a date different from what the Sony SW expects, such as the fields being in a different order, then the Sony will rebuild the database from the metadata in the books.

One way to help debug the problem (if you are willing) is to do the following:
1. Ensure calibre is not running.
2. Plug in the device.
3. Assuming the books are in main memory, go to the device's disk, then to the folder 'database/cache'. There will be a file media.xml in that folder.
4. Copy the file media.xml to somewhere on your hard disk. Name it media.xml.before.
5. Start calibre, send a book, stop calibre, but don't eject your device.
6. Copy the current media.xml file to your hard disk. Name it media.xml.after.
7. Unplug the sony. If it takes a long time, then we might have enough information in these files to understand what is happening. If it takes the normal time, then who knows what is going on.

Assuming it took a long time, you now have a choice. The most useful would be for you can send me these two files, but if you do, I will know the contents of your library. That may or may not create a privacy problem (I can understand if it does). If it does not, then send them to me by email to calibre-bugs at charles dot haleys dot name.

If you are concerned about privacy, then you will need to examine the files yourself, looking for differences. Tell me what you find. Be as precise as you can be.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote