View Single Post
Old 12-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #31
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald View Post
Are those features really worth $100 though? Maybe not. There's nothing listed there that couldn't be supported with a simple software upgrade (should be coming in 2008 I expect if Sony still wants to compete) for the Sony. And you end up with a reader in a sleeker, nicer form factor made of higher quality materials with a longer battery life.
I would be very very surprised if Sony simply upgrades their software and magically adds those features. They've had plenty of time to do that and they haven't done it yet. I don't know if it's because they can't or they won't, but you are dreaming if you are thinking they are going to do that IMHO.

MAYBE they will come out with a new version of their reader with those options, but i don't think the current readers are there are going to magically have this stuff happen by a software upgrade.

I could be wrong. Heck, I hope I'm wrong since I still have my Sony Readers. But I think KindleHate affected imagination and turned it into wishful thinking on this idea.

I think Sony dropped the ball by not having at least a dictionary function. If the whispernet and access to the Amazon store options were unavailable to me , then I would go for a Cybook before I'd pick up another Sony Reader. I have found that I use the dictionary a lot more than I thought I would.

Of course, being a victim of public education may have something to do with that.

Last edited by tsgreer; 12-24-2007 at 05:09 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote