View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm opposed to Naomi Novik's other activities -- particularly, her attempt to make herself and her organization some kind of gatekeepers of fanfiction, their very explicit declaration that the world of fanfic is a female community, and one of her board members' bizarre statements that slash is the highest and most noble form of "transformative works" (i.e., fanfic) and anyone whose writing owes more to canon than to some strange compulsion to make two canonically straight men fall in love with each other need not apply. This wouldn't be an issue if they weren't so insistent that their opinions and their beliefs are the One True Way, and their poor judgment, IMO, in declaring that they want the right to sell their fanfic, which, all else aside, is going to stir up the rights-holders like nothing else. Given how many fanfic communities have been nearly eradicated by the owners of the copyrights we infringe for our stories, that particular pot doesn't need any more stirring.

So the books look interesting, but I'm not giving any money to their author. I have more than enough else on my TBR list; I choose not to support someone who I not only disagree with wholeheartedly, and some of whose views I find abhorrent, but who is putting at risk a hobby and a community very important to me.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote