View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 01:02 PM   #75
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp
I asked the V-P what he meant when he told me that Sony gave him no reasons, and his response was the following: they came in to market the device to us, they showed us how it worked, they let us handle it (and he, as you recall, kept one a few days to show it to me) and told us how important ebooks were. Well, he continued, we didn't need to be told that, we already knew it and were offering them, what we needed to know was whether it would be worth it TO US to spend time and money to make our offerings compatible with their device, especially since we knew that other devices were going to come on the market, and their response was to let us play with the devices.
That does sound pretty bone-headed. They should have at least said something like "we expect these to be very popular and your patrons would find it really handy if your offerrings worked on these devices." Of course that would really only be saying that they're trying to get as much content available for as many sources as possible so that folks will see a greater need for buying the rascals. But they could have at least said that much.

Actually, I'm rather surprised that there is an "idiot's guide to the iPod" -- the advances they've made in idiots the last few years is simply staggering! Why, I remember when even a first-rate idiot could figure out an iPod without a whole book to explain it to him. Wait ... no, no I don't remember such a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane
...the reason that they showed it to libraries is that libraries may not sell things, but they do buy things. There are several libraries across the country that offer digital library copies. My GF in New York avails herself of this regularly. There are also libraries that have used ebookwise as a way to lend those digital copies to patrons who do not have an e-reading device. The library market could be a large purchasing block of Sony E-Readers.
Wow, the idea that a library would be willing to lend out a $350 device to patrons simply never crossed my mind, but then the library system in Houston is so underfunded (don't get me started on the previous Mayor's shenanigans) that they can barely afford to loan books to anyone.

But now that you've pointed out the idea, Jane, I can certainly see its merit!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote