View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I have many O'Reilly books, which I download in both epub and pdf formats. The epubs work surprisingly well, the only problem is that some source code snippets are so long that they wrap around to the next line, and that makes it difficult to follow them. The same sometime happens for tables, as well. Complex diagrams can also be hard to follow, as the details can get lost when the whole figure is squashed into the display. I started out reading the epub versions on my 6" PRS-505 (many years ago), but ended up buying the 9.7" reader for technical reading.

epubs have the advantage that the text is well suited to e-ink devices (thicker font strokes and the characters are aligned on pixel boundaries), but the non-text stuff can be a problem. With pdfs, the non-text stuff is laid out as it should be, but the text can be hard to read (the fonts and character kerning are aimed towards ink and paper rather than e-ink). Neither was very satisfactory for me on the 6" device.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote