View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
daveconifer
Zealot
daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!daveconifer rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
Deb's PM was full of some incredibly great criticism. I implemented all of her suggestions and made my story better. The availability of talented editors like Deb are a huge advantage for authors of professionally published books over hack jobs like mine (not that I'm saying Deb is a pro, but she could be).

Now that I finished she sent a few more suggestions that are equally awesome. I think I have a little more work to do.

By the way, I also added an epilogue to the story which lays out the history that's woven into the plot. It looks like this:

Epilogue

Although this story is a work of fiction, there is plenty of real history woven into the plot. The Warren Commission report really does include the testimony of a man who could be the fictitious R.J. Pomeroy (in chapter 5, page 221). This obscure police officer claimed to have watched Jack Ruby walk past a police guard post and into the basement of the Dallas police station where he subsequently murdered JFK assassin Lee Harvey Oswald. The Warren Commission has been criticized over the past five decades for innumerable shortcomings. None are more glaring than the failure to effectively interrogate Ruby and a refusal to investigate how it was that neither Oswald nor Ruby lived long enough to explain their actions.

ERC is a fictitious steel maker modeled on a very real one. Although the company’s involvement in the assassination is merely a plot device in the story, enmity between its chairman and Kennedy was very palpable and very public. As detailed in the story, the chairman of ERC really did visit the Oval Office personally to inform Kennedy that steel prices would be increased and Kennedy didn’t hide his anger at the perceived double-cross. The banner headlines in the story really were splashed across the front page of The New York Times over a ten-day period in the spring of 1962. All the dialogue by the chairman, the president and his staff in the aftermath of the Oval Office confrontation is real and can be found exactly where Jonas and Reno found it.

PT 109, commanded by Lieutenant Kennedy, was sunk in the dark of night in August 1943 by a Japanese warship. Almost seventy years later many people share the opinion of the fictitious Clyde Gerson that Kennedy’s negligence contributed to the incident which led to the death of two crew members. Lieutenant Kennedy was awarded a Purple Heart and subsequently the the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for his unquestionably heroic leadership after the boat sank.
daveconifer is offline   Reply With Quote